W H I T N E Y

My photo
What can I say? I <3 F A S H I O N.

Monday 13 December 2010

Louise Bourgeois#2


Louise Bourgeois is also famous for her patternmaking and fabric work.


Her Fabric Works were very detailed and edgy. It seemed as each of them told a different story; probably all different stages of her life. I also like the colours that she put together because they all seemed to blend nicely.

Bourgeois uses her clothes, tablecloths and bed linen to make these Fabric Works.

 

‘The sewing is my attempt to keep things together and make things whole’.

My analogy on her Fabric Works is that considering the relationship with her mother and father and the complications, she probably never had that feeling as a child of being in a complete and loving home. These Fabric pieces could be an illustration of what she actually desired then and possibly even now.


This was my favourite Fabric Work. I like the colours used; they are kind of neutral with a few pale colours used. I like the string or little piece of cloth used on the top. It looks like she used a weaving and knitting technique on these.

She sewed materials in Concentric Circles


Looking at Bourgeois’ Fabric Works, it inspired me to look at detail. She used not only a large amount of different fabrics but they all contain something of significance.
I think each pattern in a way demonstrated how she probably felt at some stages of her life.

Her work has now inspired my Project and I will not focus on Embellishment which I grasped from the idea of detail. I will be looking at buttons mainly because they have to power to change a garment drastically.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers