W H I T N E Y

My photo
What can I say? I <3 F A S H I O N.

Monday 13 December 2010

Embellishment:Yuki



I thought this garment was very inspirational for the fact that it forms a beautiful halter-neck dress when there are hardly any stitches involved, but the dress fabric actually taking its form.
This jersey fabric dress was designed from minimal construction and actually has no shape when not on a silhouette. When put on a body of some sort, it instantly takes shape and made lucid by the figure.

 


I just thought that Yuki was very smart for making a dress like this because it shows firstly that you can make clothes out of anything. I feel that this design could also be a metaphor of what she normally does.
When you make clothes, you use material that just comes in its normal form and hasn’t been put in any shape or form to fit a figure. When tweaked about with, it then gains a shape which is then suitable to put on a figure.
I think it could also be a juxtaposition in the sense that the first impression you would get of this garment if you saw it not on a figure was just a lifeless piece of material, but when actually put on is then full of life.

Evening dress, knitted rayon jersey
Yuki. London, late 1970s. Label:None
Worn and given by Gayle Hunnicutt
T.263-1989

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers