W H I T N E Y

My photo
What can I say? I <3 F A S H I O N.

Monday 13 December 2010

Embellishment:Buttons#1


 

I recently found a book in the Library called ‘Modern Fashion in Detail’ and I came across this really lovely ‘side’ of a jacket.
I only noticed half way down the book that all these garments were very historic but nonetheless have helped me a lot with my research on embellishment and design.
I thought the detail on the button was very significant as it matched with the rest of the colour scheme which was beige/cream with brown. The buttons are not only connected for functional purposes but have been carefully thought about as they even have a nice clear rim round it.


I then decided to go and check up the whole garment and discovered that it was a double breasted jacket with 6 buttons showcased on the front. Andre Courreges was the designer of this coat and he focused a lot on fine finish and detail. He made visible the construction lines of the garment and has also made a false pocket flap similar to the fact that some buttons do not have functional purposes but more decorative purposes. The fact that the buttons are not the four hole buttons indicates that they may have had more than just a functional purpose as we can clearly see.
I really like the colours used as I am a big fan of Beige and brown mixing. It is very classy which is my thing and quite simple.

Coat, woven woollen gabardine
Andre Courreges. French, Winter 1967
Label: Courreges Paris. Worn by late Mrs Stavros Niarchos and given by Mr Stravros Niarchos.
T.102-1974

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers